In the Batman: Arkham series, characters will appear and taunt the player in a game over scene whenever they fail a mission. The character who appears in the scene depends on who the player is currently facing.
- "I'm gonna enjoy teaching you some manners, Joker! Get him back to his cell." (to Joker)
- "The Bat is broken!"
- "Once again, I have defeated you, Batman!"
- "You'll never beat me, Joker. I won't let you win." (to Joker)
- "You'll never win, Joker. I'll always be here to stop you." (to Joker)
- "Loser, loser, loser!"
- "Bye bye, Bats!"
- "Oh, I'd like to thank my fans for their undying support, and the people of Gotham, who I will be seeing very, very soon."
- "I salute my fallen enemy!"
- "Oh, isn't that cute! Little Bat's a-sleepin'. Someone finish him off."
- "That loser didn't stand a chance! I mean, look at me!"
- "Gotta say, I thought you'd last longer."
- "Hey! Someone help Bat-baby up off the floor!"
- "Too easy! Played you like a violin then cut your strings. Nighty-night, Bats!"
- "I will enjoy feasting on your bones."
- "Tick tock. Feed the Croc!"
- "You're dead and buried, darling!"
- "Sorry, love. You're plucked."
- "And at the end of fear, oblivion!"
- "You've failed, now suffer!"
- "Now madness takes you, forever!"
- "Tonight, Gotham, I have defeated your dear Dark Knight. Don't be sad. You're next!"
- "One down. Who's next to party with me?"
- "Who else wants to get crazy?"
- "First you fall, then Gotham."
- "What? Did you think you could beat me? Me?!"
- "No-one goes up against the Black Mask and lives."
- "Next, I will become you, Batman!'"
- "It was the performance of a lifetime!"
- "Get up, Bats! Hey! You ain't lookin' so good!"
- "Oh, Bats! If you only what I have planned! You'd just die!"
- "Aren't you supposed to be up on your feet and trying to stop me?"
- "You're next on my list, Batman. Run if you like, Deadshot always hits his target!"
- "I never fail to kill my target. You better run, Batman, you're next!"
- "The World's Greatest Detective dies at the hands of the world's greatest assassin."
- "Stupid little dead bat. Who's gonna save you now?"
- "I knew it! You're nothing but a lightweight loser!"
- "You were supposed to save Mr. J, Bat-brain!"
- "If you're dead, who's gonna save poor Mr. J?"
- "Neh neh neh neh neh neh!"
- "So, you fail to live up to his expectations. How predictable."
- "I knew I was better than you, Wayne. Now you have proved it."
- "Arkham City has become your tomb, Wayne."
- "So, the great Batman has fallen. Good."
- "I will enjoy dissecting your brain, Miss Kyle." (to Catwoman)
- "Escape from Arkham City is impossible, Catwoman." (to Catwoman)
- "Your thieving ends now." (to Catwoman)
- "I figured you'd have little more fight in you! Guess I figured wrong."
- "Oh, Bats! I really figured you'd last longer than that!"
- "It's okay to die, Bats, I'll be here to protect Gotham! I'll do a real good job!"
- "When you wake up, you will be mine."
- "You're late, Batman! Late, late, late!"
- "Death is cold, Batman."
- "I will turn your blood to ice."
- "Anyone want a slightly-used Batsuit? I'm sure the blood'll wash off."
- "And there was me thinking it was going to be difficult. Get 'im out of here!"
- "Having a little lie-down, are ya? Enjoy it, it's your last!"
- "Someone cut the mask off his face, no need to be gentle!"
- "And another arrogant human dies."
- "You ruined everything, Selina!" (to Catwoman)
- "You shouldn't have come here, Selina." (to Catwoman)
Rā's al GhūlEdit
- "You disappoint me, Detective."
- "It appears I chose unwisely, Detective."
- "And the hunt for my successor goes on."
- "This is hardly a surprise. I always knew I was better than you!"
- "Well, well! So the shaved monkey has failed. How utterly, utterly expected."
- "What's wrong? Has your primitive brain given up and accepted that I, the Riddler, am better than you?"
- "Riddle me this: What lies on the ground, is full of holes, and gives off a slight burning smell?"
- "Question: What do you call someone who prevented a guard from turning into minced meat? Answer: Not you, Batman!"
- "You picked wrong, Dark Knight!"
- "Grundy will kill you!"
- "Grundy must hurt the bat!"
- "And the judgement is... death!"
- "Heads or tails?"
- "Looks like your luck's run out, Batman!"
- "Bad luck, Batman!"
- "What's up, Batman? In two minds about saving the kitty? Let me help you out. Kill her!"
- "Time to die, kitty cat!" (to Catwoman)
- "Sorry, kitty." (to Catwoman)
- "I'm going to take my time, Batman. After all, you took yours."
- "You missed my call."
- "You took too long, Batman!"
Harley Quinn (Harley Quinn's Revenge)Edit
- "Good, I hope it hurts!"
- "You're gonna pay for letting Mr. J die!"
- "Oh no, you're all dead! Who's going to save Batman now?!" (to Robin)
- "Tough luck, Birdbrain." (to Robin)
- "You think you're a hero, but you're really just a symbol of how low this city's fallen. We're better off without you."
- "We could have accomplished such great things together."
- "That was... unsatisfying."
- "And I had such big plans for you."
- "I'd hoped for more of a fight."
- "So this is how the Bat finally falls."
- "You've been broken."
- "I'm disappointed. I expected better from you."
- "After all these years of claiming to be the best, you are beaten by my worst." (to Deathstroke)
- "Defeated by my underlings. Not impressed." (to Deathstroke)
- "That's it? All this build-up and he falls over like he's made of sticks?! What an anti-climactic ending."
- "I was hoping you'd at least live long enough to see what I've got planned for this place."
- "What, the party's already over? But I was just getting warmed up!"
- "I didn't think it would be this easy. Oh well, live and learn."
- "With you out of the way, Gotham's mine for the taking. And sooner than I thought."
- "Not your best day, Deathstroke. Now hurry up and die!" (to Deathstroke)
- "Unkillable? Not quite." (to Deathstroke)
- "I bet you never expected the end to come like this."
- "Lo siento, Batman. Pero mi veneno es la muerte. (Sorry, Batman. But my poison is death.) Now, sleep."
- "Now that you've been dealt with, I have a prize to collect."
- "A nice, clean kill. Just the way I like 'em."
- "Know that you die with honor, which is more than can be said for most."
- "You fought well, Batman, but I am stronger, faster, smarter. And so this ends the only way it could."
- "Brains always triumph over brawn, my friend. Always."
- "Ugh. And here I thought I'd finally met my intellectual equal. So much for that."
- "Aw... Look at that. Poor little bat got his wings clipped."
- "Well, it looks like this is goodbye."
- "Gotham's gonna burn! And with you out of the way, there's no-one left to stop me!"
- "Hmph. Not much to look at from up close. Dunno why everyone was so afraid of him."
- "You shoulda' turned yourself in when you had the chance. Alright, boys, let's get this trash outta here."
- "Looks like justice has finally been served, fellas. Now, to see what's under that mask."
- "Your life ain't worth the dirt you lie on. Get this sorry excuse for an assassin outta here!" (to Deathstroke)
- "They call this Deathstroke. Correction: they called this one Deathstroke." (to Deathstroke)
- "Ding dong, the Bat is dead! Which old Bat? The dumb old Bat! Ding dong, the dumb old Bat is dead!"
- "Looks like I'm gonna need to find a new playmate. Oh, and we were having so much fun, too!"
- "Aw, gotta say, I thought you'd have more fight in you. A lot more fight."
- "Oh, I'm sorry, did I kill your friend? Whoops! My bad!"
- "Aw. Too bad, so sad!"
- "Deathstroke? More like Deathjoke!" (to Deathstroke)
- "You may be the worlds greatest assassin, kiddo, but Joker always gets the last laugh!" (to Deathstroke)
- "Looks like dinner is served."
- "I'll line my lair with your flesh, Batman!"
- "Ah... the sweet scent of defeat."
- "Oh frabjous day! Callooh, calley!"
- "Oh dear, oh dear. What have I done? Oh, that's right! I killed the Batman!"
- "Alice? Alice... You're not Alice!" (to Deathstroke)
- "Oh, lovely, Mr. Deathstroke! Would you like some tea? Alice?" (to Deathstroke)
- "And that's why I'm the boss. Now, if you'll excuse me, I got business to attend to. Piss off!"
- "Aw, it's a real shame you're dead. You're actually worth more alive."
- "Boys, get 'im outta here. And don't ding up any a' the gear. That's worth some money."
- "World's greatest assassin? You? Bollocks." (to Deathstroke)
- "Someone rip off his mask for my collection. At least it's not spandex." (to Deathstroke)
- "I take no pleasure in your death. But I see no other way."
- "You fought well. And so I grant you the favor of a quick death."
- "He is gone, Batman. Because of you."
- "First I broke your spirit. Now I break your back."
- "Let the outsider die meditating on his failures."
- "You should have stayed at home with your baseball and hot dogs, foreigner."
- "Such a long journey only to be defeated by your own demons."
Mister Freeze (Cold, Cold Heart)Edit
- "And now your blood runs as cold as mine."
- "The thought of killing a man should turn my stomach. But as I look at you now, I feel... nothing."
Penguin (Cold, Cold Heart)Edit
- "What's a'matter, Brucey boy? D'ya choke on a pâté?"
- "And that's how you ring in the new year!"
- "Break out the champagne, boys! I think it's gonna be a very, very good year."
- "They will remember you, Master Bruce. I promise. Your sacrifice will not be in vain."
- "Master Bruce. I hoped it would never end like this. Rest in peace."
- "I own the sky now."
- "Look at me while you die, Batman. Look at me."
- "You're old, you're predictable, and you never stood a chance."
- "I didn't want it to end like this, Batman. I kinda hoped you'd put up more of a fight."
- "It's over, hero. Goodbye."
- "You're finished. And Gotham's finished too."
- "You've failed Oracle, Batman. And I'll make sure she knows it."
- "You never stood a chance, Batman. Not against this army, and not against me."
- "That's what happens when you take on my men. You lose."
- "Ivy should've known better than to count on you."
- "Bring me the hood. The rest... do watcha want. Just don't make a mess." (to Red Hood)
- "Do me a favour and die already. I got a business to run." (to Red Hood)
- "Is this some kinda joke? Trying to run me out of Gotham? Get this schmuck outta here!" (to Red Hood)
- "Hallelujah! Hallelujah! Hallelujah! The wicked demon has been slain! Join me, children, and let us rejoice in his eternal damnation!"
- "What happened, Batman? You used to put up a fight."
- "It's been a long rivalry, Bat. But this is the only way it could end."
- "Shame about the car. I would have kept it when I was finished with you."
- "There'll be nothing but a charred stump when I'm finished with you, Batman."
- "When you see my puddin', tell him Harley sent ya. And she says hi!"
- "I did it, Mr. J! I did it for you!"
- "Hah! Joker told me Robins die easy!" (to Robin)
- "Bye bye, birdie!" (to Robin)
- "Too bad, Lucius. I could've used a man of your talents."
- "Everything you are, everything you have, it's mine, Bruce. All mine."
- "This is justice. This is what you deserve."
- "This makes us even, Bruce."
- "Oops, you're dead! Oh, wait, does that mean I'm dead? Get up, Bruce! Get up!"
- "Downside: You're dead. But the upside? We've got each other, Bruce. Forever!"
- "Ugh. Well, that's what I get for betting it all on black."
- "Now, if I was in charge, this never would have happened!"
- "Who's going to fight crime now? Robin? Hahahahaha!"
- "Aw, off to see Mom and Pop at that big country club in the sky."
- "Oh, Bats, you big kidder. You don't fool me. Bats? Bats!"
- "This is how it happened. This is how the Batman died."
- "Don't head towards the light, Bruce. It's not fair, they'll never let me in!"
- "I've sat through my own funeral already, now I have to through the whole thing again? Thanks for nothing."
- "Bats? Bats?! Bats!"
- "You should take better care of yourself, Batsy. There's two of us in there!"
- "What? You survive everything I ever threw at you, only to die now, like this?"
- "What the? Why's everything gone dark? Are we dying? We'd better not be dying, Bruce!"
- "Come on, Bruce. You can't die! I didn't kill you!"
- "That's it, Bats, play dead. We've got 'em right where we- Oh dear."
- "Well, that's one less Gordon to worry about. At least now you won't have to tell him the truth about Babs."
- "There goes your only lead to finding Barbara. Well, it was fun while it lasted."
- "Well would you look at that? A new stuffed head for my cigar room. Someone get me a hacksaw."
- "Aw, don't be so sad, Batman. Gotham's in good hands now. I'll take real good care of it."
- "Coming here thinking you could take me. You were way outta your depth, boy, and you just paid the price." (to Nightwing)
- "Take comfort from the fact I never got old of ya. Would've been real messy." (to Nightwing)
- "You and Batman were friends, right? Now, I hate your guts, but that's harsh." (to Nightwing)
- "Look at you! Just as useless as the Joker. My only regret is that I didn't kill him myself." (to Harley Quinn)
- "I told Scarecrow sending you was a bad idea. Guess I'm gonna have to send one of my own men to finish the job." (to Harley Quinn)
- "Shoulda known better, yeah? Never send a harlot to do a man's job!" (to Harley Quinn)
- "They destroyed my plant, Batman. I can't stop them now."
- "Pyg happy. Pyg glad. Pyg get to play with flesh, make it look pretty after death."
- "I don't care that he's dead, Batman. But you do." (cut from the game)
- "Such a senseless waste of life. I'm glad you put an end to it." (cut from the game)
- "Riddle me this: What's dead? You!"
- "Your death was inevitable, I'm afraid. A statistical certainty."
- "I don't think you'll be solving this one."
- "I did it! I actually did it! I mean, of course I did. Good. As expected."
- "My apologies, Catwoman. But, you see, I had a point to prove." (to Catwoman)
- "Now to be fair, Catwoman, in cat years, you had a very good run." (to Catwoman)
- "I won't let you down, Bruce. I'll keep fighting. Always."
- "Prepare yourself, Batman. My reign of terror starts now."
- "You die here, and your legend dies with you."
- "This is the end, Dark Knight. You've nothing to be afraid of anymore."
- "Didn't you know, Dark Knight, you can't fight fear?"
- "You have failed to stop me, Batman. Now Gotham will fall."
- "Die knowing that I will make them suffer. Everyone."
- "I wanted more than your death and Gotham's destruction, but you forced my hand."
- "Not so scary now, huh, Batman?"
- "I think he's dead. Hey, who wants to buy a Batsuit?"
- "Sorry, Batman. It's our city now."
- "I thought he was supposed to be tough."
- "Can't argue with the coin, Batman."
- "Harvey might feel bad about this, Batman, but we'll bring him round."
- "It's fate, Batman. Don't try and fight it."
- "You're better off dead, Bat. Just look what happened to us."
Joker (Batgirl: A Matter of Family)Edit
- "Everything is in a smile."
- "It's a little known fact, there's a bit of Joker inside us all. Come on, kiddo! Let your Joker out."
- "Hey, sad clown... turn that frown around."
- In Batman: Arkham City, being killed by thugs that are not aligned with a supervillain will result in a game over scene featuring Hugo Strange. However, once he dies, a blank game over scene featuring no villain will play instead.
- In Batman: Arkham Origins, it is made more apparent that the villains are taunting Batman's corpse. This is shown in several different scenes, such as the Joker jumping on Batman's body, Penguin tossing a cigar and knocking Batman's head, and Black Mask kicking Batman's corpse in frustration.